Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Good Night's Sleep with Lavender

Sometimes I have trouble sleeping.  It doesn’t seem to be linked to stress or problems; happy, sad, it doesn’t matter.  Sometimes I just can’t sleep.  

I have Fibromyalgia so sleep is very important to me.  A few bad nights can trigger painful episodes of tense muscles and even muscle tics.  When I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia my doctor gave me powerful sleep aides that left me groggy all day.  This was when I realized the power of Lavender as a sleep aide. Lavender has been used for centuries to speed relaxation and induce restful sleep.

If I were a more creative person I would write an ode to Lavender. I love Lavender for what it brings to us as humans, it is my best friend in the plant world.  Alas, I am not creative enough to write an ode so you are stuck with simply my version of what I consider to be the best, sure-fire (at least for me!) sleep inducing routine I can come up with.   

First, for this routine to work you must be sure to use Lavender Essential Oil, not Lavender Fragrance Oil. Check your product labels to make sure the ingredient listed is not fragrance oil. Only essential oil will give you the benefits of the actual plant DNA which will work with your body to create a therapeutic result.

I believe what makes this routine fail safe for me is that the lavender is layered throughout and that it is a ritual - first this, then that - so that I have trained myself to associate this routine with sleep.  

I need to add a disclaimer here as well.  I have been exposed to lavender most of my life and never have had an adverse reaction. Before trying any routine this intense you should test the waters by using a combination of a few of these products at a time before diving in all the way.


When I am desperate for a good night’s sleep I….

Draw a hot bath. Sometimes I opt for some Lavender scented soy candles or a beeswax candle to create a positive atmosphere. Put on quiet relaxing music or grab a relaxing novel.

Dry brush myself to stimulate my skin and remove dead skin cells (dry brushes are available in our stores or other quality bath shops). You can call us at 715-595-4570 to inquire about telephone ordering a dry brush from Brown Barn.

I drop a Lavender Essential Oil bath bomb into the bath water. Sometimes I even include some Lavender infused bath salts.

I climb into the tub, being careful not to slip.

After soaking for a few minutes I wash myself with any of the following: Lavender essential oil based bar soap, Lavender Essential Oil foaming bath butter, or Lavender Essential Oil liquid body wash (my personal favorite).

Then I use our famous Lavender essential oil sugar scrub or the Brown Burl White Pines Sugar Scrub. I am careful to scrub in circular motion from my outer extremities toward my heart to stimulate circulation. I scrub until all of the sugar has dissolved so as not to waste a drop.  Our sugar scrubs start out dry but boy when they hit water watch out, they are just packed with fabulous oil.

I soak some more, maybe adding a little more hot water to the tub. Read, relax, close my eyes. I might choose to use my Lavender eye pillow.

When I exit the tub I am VERY CAREFUL as there is a lot of oil in that tub after using all these great Brown Barn products. I pat dry (never rub – you don’t want to remove all that great oil you just invested in).  

I use either the Brown Barn Lavender Body Lotion or any of the Brown Burl White Pines line liberally even though I’m already covered in oil from the bath.  My purpose now is to layer on more Lavender essential oil.

I then get in my pj’s and relax a little longer by watching tv or reading until the oil has sunk fully into my skin. At this time I heat and use my Lavender infused neck pillow. If I really want to go all out with my theme I give myself a mini-facial using my Lavender & Lime clay facial mask.

When I’m ready for bed I spritz my pillow and bedroom with Lavender Peaceful Sleep Pillow Mist. I also add another layer of lotion or salve to my hands so I can breathe in the lavender scent while I sleep.

I then use either the Brown Barn Lavender Aromatherapy Roll-on or Lavender salve around my nostrils so I am inhaling luscious Lavender as I drift off to sleep.

I turn on my electric blanket so my bed is warm when I enter.

I drift off to peaceful sleep – medication free!

Wishing you a great night's rest...

Chris Untiedt, Owner, The Brown Barn Company llc

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information particularly the last part.
    bath shop

    ReplyDelete